1 Nov 2017
2017/11/01 – Libya coastguard rescues nearly 300 people at sea trying to reach Europe – The New Arab
Libya’s coastguard rescued nearly 300 people including dozens of women and children from unseaworthy boats as they tried to reach Europe, a navy official said on Wednesday.
They were of different African nationalities and were plucked from two rubber dinghies without engines and brought back to the Tripoli naval base, he said.
Since the 2011 uprising that toppled Muammar Gaddafi, chaos-hit Libya has become a key point of departure for people heading to Europe.
Last month forces loyal to Libya’s UN-backed unity government ousted a militia controlling the trafficking from the western city of Sabratha.
This is how many refugees have been getting to Europe. One of the things Gaddafi did while in power was patrol these waters and hinder the refugee traffic. But since Qadafi was ousted, those who were in control were facilitating refugees heading to Europe.
Italy now has an agreement with Italy to block refugee traffic. Their refugee numbers have declined. Spain’s intake has tripled according to the article.
27 May 2017
2017/05/27 – Egypt’s army says intensive air strikes carried out on terrorist elements in Libya after attack on Egyptian Copts – Ahram Online
Egypt’s armed forces carried out intensive air strikes by night and day targeting terrorist elements in Libya following a Friday attack in Egypt’s Minya that left 29 Coptic Christians dead, an army spokesman statement read.
The army statement said it carried the attack upon the directions of the president and after “coordination and full examination of the information.”
Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt’s population of 92 million.
26 May 2017
2017/05/26 – Dozens dead as gunmen attack bus of Coptic Christians in Egypt – The Telegraph
At least 28 people, including many children, were massacred in Egypt on Friday when gunmen ambushed groups of Egyptian Christians traveling along a desert road towards a remote monastery.
The masked gunmen sprayed bullets into a minibus carrying children from a church group, killing at least six of them, according to Egyptian media. Christian activists said the attackers also boarded a bus and killed the men before robbing the women of their jewelry and phones and leaving Islamist leaflets among the bodies.
8 Feb 2016
Video Seems To Show Somali Airport Workers Had Role In Plane Bombing
After an airplane passenger set off a bomb last week, the pilot managed to land the plane safely in Mogadishu, Somalia. Now CCTV footage released by the Somali government indicates airport workers may have been in on the attack.
The camera footage released by Somali officials shows two airport workers handing a leather suitcase to a passenger after he went through security at the international airport in Mogadishu.
Previous post: Explosion Sucks Man Out Of Plane in Mid-Air… Plane Lands Safely
3 Feb 2016
Burning man ‘sucked out of plane’ over Mogadishu after explosion on board
A burning man was reportedly sucked out of a hole in a plane apparently caused by a bomb, forcing the aircraft to make an emergency landing in Mogadishu on Tuesday.
An explosion and fire blew a gaping hole in the commercial airliner, with the pilot later saying he thought it was a bomb.
An aviation expert who looked at photographs of the hole in the fuselage said the damage was consistent with an explosive device.
Somali aviation official, Ali Mohamoud, said only two people were slightly injured as 74 passengers and crew of the plane were evacuated after the plane made a safe landing. Local radio reported the plane was on fire when it landed.
Awale Kullane, Somalia’s deputy ambassador to the UN who was on board the flight, said on Facebook that he “heard a loud noise and couldn’t see anything but smoke for a few seconds.” When visibility returned they realised “quite a chunk” of the plane was missing, he wrote.
Those people should be thanking God that they survived that. I don’t ever recall a bomb NOT taking down an entire plane. It seems like the bomb only killed the perpetrator. We will see what the investigation brings forth, but it looks like the ideal ending.
11 Dec 2013
Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a ‘fake’
Ingrid Parkin, principal of the St. Vincent School for the Deaf in Johannesburg, said she has received complaints from the deaf community from Canada to China over his signing and described his movements as “like he’s signing gibberish.”
Braam Jordaan, a deaf South African and board member of the World Deaf Federation, also said he believed the interpreter was creating his own signs as he went along.
He joined others who have taken to Twitter to claim the interpreter was not using a recognised South African sign language.
Mr Jordaan told the SBS news website: “I was really upset and humiliated. He made up his own signs.
“What happened at the memorial service is truly disgraceful thing to see – it should not happen at all.
“What happened today will be forever aligned with Nelson Mandela & Deaf Community, thanks to this fake interpreter.”
What kind of people do stuff like this? They couldn’t get an expert to do this? This is Mandela, a worldwide figure – and they put this fake up for the world to see. Amazing….