Mexico: Teen hit man gruesomely murdered victims, now free and sent to U.S.
Mexican authorities set free a former teen cartel hit man on Tuesday and sent him back to the United States.
The release of Edgar Jimenez Lugo, a U.S. citizen known as “El Ponchis” or “The Cloak,” comes less than three years after a Mexican court found him guilty of torturing and beheading at least four people and kidnapping three others as an operative for the South Pacific Cartel.
On Tuesday, Mexican authorities said he had served his three-year sentence and had been sent back to the United States.
The teen, now 17, boarded a commercial flight from Mexico City to San Antonio, Texas, on Tuesday morning, according to Jorge Messeguer, government secretary in Mexico’s Morelos state.
Upon the teen being arrested three years ago, he said…
“I slit their throats,” he said, describing what he said was the killing of four people.
With his hands shoved into the pockets of his cargo pants, the teen told reporters he was paid weekly in dollars and pesos. But in answering questions about whether he knew what he was doing when he allegedly participated in the killings, the teen said he was under the influence of drugs and unaware of his actions.
The teen told reporters a cartel leader threatened him.
“I either work or he’ll kill me,” he said.